Here are 5 reasons why you should make sure you celebrate Australia Day this year:
1) Australia is part of the British Commonwealth – we share the Queen with Australia and the Union Jack is on the Australian flag
2) The Inventor of Wifi, John O’Sullivan, is from Australia – imagine where we’d be without Wifi!
3) According to the BBC, an estimated 1.3 million Brits currently live in Australia – this is the largest number in any one country.
4) In 2003 to 2004 brothers Lars and Jens Rasmussen developed the platform for Google Maps – Think of all those times when you’ve been lost and Google Maps has saved the day, that surely deserves celebrating!
5) Sydney is 11 hours ahead of the UK – it is important that the whole day is celebrated so as Australia Day is ending, it is only just beginning for us.
Australia Day is celebrated in a number of ways, one of the most popular being with a BBQ and a few drinks on the beach. This may not be possible for us Brits, but it’s not too late to organise an Australian themed party, or even just a few drinks in your local pub!