How to solve common student accommodation problems

Going off to college and living on your own for the first time is truly exciting, bringing you more freedom and numerous opportunities to become more independent. However, you may come across some common accommodation problems in a student house. Although student accommodation is typically enjoyable, comfortable and safe, certain issues may occur from time to time. Don’t worry, no matter how serious a problem might seem, there’s always a way to deal with it.

Your landlord keeps intruding  

If your intrusive landlord keeps showing up without any previous notice, you should address this issue. Although your landlord owns the property, they don’t have the right to harass you and visit any time they want. This is appropriate only in case of emergencies when they need to deal with an urgent problem. Otherwise, your landlord should notify you 24 hours in advance that they’re planning to visit or might send a repairman over to deal with a certain issue. Thus, if you have an intrusive landlord, you should discuss this with them or your agent. In addition, make sure to do it in writing in order to have a copy if needed.

Your roommate leaving early 

If you’re sharing an apartment with one or more roommates, you’ll probably sign the lease together, which makes you all responsible for paying the rent. However, if one of your roommates leaves suddenly, you should inform the landlord. They may agree to lower the rent or let you find someone else to move in. It might be useful to talk to your roommates about this situation beforehand and ask them to inform you in advance if they’re planning to leave. In addition, you should do the same if you ever decide to leave.

Noisy neighbours or housemates 

Noisy housemates and neighbours are another common problem that you may experience. If your roommates keep waking you up or disturbing you while you’re trying to study, you can politely ask them to be quieter or discuss with them specific hours when loud music and other noise can be tolerated. If they keep doing this over and over again, you can talk to your landlord about this issue, but you may want to warn your roommates before contacting your landlord.
When it comes to noisy neighbours, your landlord can’t help you out unless they own that apartment, too. Instead, you need to deal with your noisy neighbours in person. Once again, try to be as polite as possible, but if they keep being noisy, you can contact your student services department or local authorities.

Common repairs

Your landlord is legally obliged to perform maintenance checks and keep the rental in good condition. Don’t hesitate to inform them about all maintenance issues there might be because even a simple one can turn into a major problem. For instance, if you’re experiencing problems with blocked drains in your student house, you shouldn’t neglect the issue. Instead, let your landlord know as soon as possible so that they can send an experienced plumber to fix this problem. Otherwise, this can lead to a serious damage to the property and your belongings. You should both call and email your landlord so that you have a record that you’ve reported the problem.

Pests and rodents 

You may realise that you have unwanted guests in your student home. If you notice pests and rodents, you should inform your landlord, but keep in mind that they’re not obliged to deal with this issue. They may at least suggest how to deal with pests and rodents if they don’t want to resolve the problem themselves. However, if you notice rats, you can seek help from the local council’s environmental health department or get in touch with your student services department.

Not getting your deposit back

Your landlord has the right to deduct repair costs from your deposit if a certain damage to the property was your fault. Otherwise, they are obliged to give it back if you decide to move out. To prevent your landlord from keeping too much of your deposit or refusing to give it back, you should ask them to put your deposit in a Deposit Protection Scheme and provide you with proof of this. You can contact your student services department if your landlord doesn’t want to give you your deposit back.

Being aware of these common problems will help be prepared if you experience any of them while living in your student accommodation.

The following two tabs change content below.

You Might Also Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.